Thursday, 22 October 2009

Module 4 completed

See my completed Module 4 at

Wednesday, 19 August 2009

Exhibition in Cheltenham

Three pieces of our furniture are on show in the Celebration of Craftsmanship and Design Exhibition in Cheltenham until Monday 24 August. The show is open each day 10am - 4pm. David has incorporated some of my textile work in our Entwine table.

There are also some embroidered pictures by Alison Taylor.

Thirlestaine Long Gallery, Cheltenham College, Bath Road, Cheltenham GL53 7LD.

Thursday, 23 July 2009


Yes, I went off on a tangent after last year's summer school, and pursued my Creative Dialogue with my husband, David. Sian approved this for progressing my Module 4, but I stalled when I had to come up with more technical solutions. However, I have now finished the piece and I thought those who have been to this year's summer school may like to see it. Here it is:

The Creative Dialogue started with David making a three-legged, three-pronged coat stand. The shape of the top of the coat stand inspired me to design a 'bowl' using soluble fabric. This shape then developed into a larger version of the frame shown above, for a table. David made this smaller version so that my design could hang through the centre of the frame. I made a paper pattern for the bowl and I started with stitching a grid (Module 4).

I wanted to create interaction between the three sides of the bowl - creating interesting negative spaces.

Saturday, 31 January 2009

Book cover for my diary

I chose the word 'designers' for this module because David and I are often designing together - especially furniture. I embedded string in paper, took some pieces of fabric printed at last year's summer school with Cas Holmes and laid them on a felt background. I then hand stitched crosses on the printed crosses. Laid chiffon on top of whole piece, added running stitches in A and M shapes, stitched a diagonal grid to hold the layers together; cable stitched the blue loopy 'writing', and finished edge with one of my machine stitched cords.

Wednesday, 7 January 2009

Mock up books

In December I worked on Mock Up books using momigami papers as well as my hand made papers, and recycled items from my media/stationery collection.

This 'M and A' book is machine stitched, using part of a paper shopping bag as the cover. The momigami is made using my daughter's prep notes for her A2 Art exam which she completed last year. She studied fairies, so there are glimpses of her notes on Titania and good and bad fairies in this book. For those of you who are interested her final exam piece can be seen here
Gail made and embroidered 34 ivy leaves for the bodice of this dress.

This M book is hand stitched Japanese stab binding and contains pieces of my hand made paper. I stitched these pages using machine cable stitch.

Momigami book - failed!

This was my first attempt at folding 4 pages and machine stitching. One of the pages wasn't 'caught' by the stitching.