Thursday, 27 November 2008

Jute Scrim M paper

Manipulated threads in jute scrim to form A and M. I then separated these letters and added them to sheets of paper.

Jute Scrim - hand stitching

Paper backed with muslin, free machine zig zag stitch to hold two layers together, and to secure jute scrim. Buttonhole bars worked in withdrawn threads.

Machine stitched edge

Running stitch worked by hand to echo lines in jute scrim.

Trimmed muslin backing, added a piece of my plain paper to the back and machine stitched the edges together.

Wednesday, 19 November 2008

ASPIRE Channel Swim Challenge

Yesterday I completed length no. 1416 and finished my Channel Swim in Ilkley pool. I am raising money for ASPIRE. ASPIRE's projects and services have a very simple goal - to provide the practical support needed for people with spinal cord injury, from injury to independence.

Just over 12 months ago I could just about swim 20 lengths in the slow lane. I swam once a week, gradually building up my fitness and stamina until I could swim 70 lengths in 60 minutes - in the medium lane.

I started my Channel Swim on 15 September and have been swimming 2 or 3 times a week since then (apart from the week my employer sent me to head office in Hampshire).

Most lengths swum in one week = 228
Most lengths swum in one session = 90
All breaststroke.

Please give a donation to ASPIRE at

Tuesday, 18 November 2008

Stitchery into paper - automatic stitches

Today I chose this embedded grid to stitch. The paper has almost completely covered this grid.

Automatic stitches

Stitched automatic 'satin stitch bars', extended length of stitch to maximum - ochre/yellow thread. Attached felt backing. Cross stitch worked by hand to secure ends of blue thread at top of this piece.

I then played with automatic stitches to see which worked best for mmm's.

Automatic stitches - reverse

The reverse shows the automatic stitch patterns more clearly.

Automatic stitches - revealed grid

Scraped away some of the paper between the first rows of automatic stitching to reveal some of embedded fabric grid.

Automatic stitches

I wrapped a robin frame with blue threads, machined random satin stitch bars, added yellow M, and then stitched blue cord on top of grid. Removed from frame.

Embedded this in yellow paper pulp.

Monday, 17 November 2008

Stitchery into paper - A and M

I used felt as a backing, then added blanket stitch around the edge, pulling this tight to create mmm around edge. I added more rows of blanket stitch - this creates a grid, through which I threaded the blue stranded cotton to form M M M - I don't like this, so I didn't continue with it.

I have used gold pen to highlight sections of the grid pattern in the paper, using my 'designers' paper created by writing over plastic canvas as 'inspiration'.

Finally I added the blue ribbon and large fly stitches to create a 'hint of A and M'.

Thursday, 6 November 2008

Stitchery in to paper

Designers written in pva, rubbing taken, position frame to suggest lines of stitching in grid. Running Stitch, Blanket Stitch. Threads looped around these stitches and through grid.

Friday, 31 October 2008

Wednesday, 18 June 2008

Machine embroidered samples

Here are the machine embroidered samples I've produced so far. The first needs something interesting on the loops. The second and third will have hand embroidery added to them.

Saturday, 14 June 2008

Displacement sample

Loops pulled to form A shape.
Loops pulled in both directions
Threads pulled at sides in both directions

Drawn thread work

Darned ends, knotted ends, hand and machine embroidery to secure ends.
Ribbons, cord, beads and stick threaded.
Spiralling buttonhole
Four sided stitch
Cross stitch

As and Ms tied back in

Threads withdrawn from other fabric pieces have been tied to form Ms and overlapping As.

Woven As and Ms

Threads withdrawn in both directions, then woven back in in overlapping As and Ms. Machined zigzag to stabilise. This was fun!

Thursday, 5 June 2008


Papers with 'A' embedded and embossed. LH = A cut from scrim; RH = A cut from paper bag. Both embossed with paper clips bent to A shape. M made using deckle cut from polystyrene.

Dyeing results

Evenweaves and threads dyed ready for drawn thread work.

Monday, 2 June 2008


Yesterday I spent the morning dyeing fabrics and threads. Now they are all sealed in these plastic containers and jam jars - the fun part is yet to come! I will be opening these and drying the fabrics this evening.

Yes, it's that sculpture again, still keeping an eye on me!

Starting Module 4

I have completed chapters 1 - 3, and am now working on chapters 4 - 6. It's a refreshing change to be working with different colours and design sources.

Tuesday, 1 April 2008

Resolved Sample

There are four or five layers in this sample, depending on how you count the layers. It's probably more like six, if I count the number of responses I made to each step in the making of this. Note the curly piece at the bottom of the frame is now pointing towards the left, so that it follows the line created by the dark green cord!

Thursday, 28 February 2008

Choker completion

Triangles and beads now stitched on choker. Technical solutions resolved for fastenings, including hand made toggles.